DRS JOHN AND JULIE GOTTMAN | MAY 2014
GOTTMAN LEVEL 3 COUPLES THERAPY
Live practicum training in couples therapy
A three day masterclass intensive : First time held outside of the USA by Drs Gottman.
" From the originators who wrote the textbook for professionals on couple therapy "
Become part of the select worldwide group of specially trained couples counsellors.
15th, 16th and 17th
This training teaches concrete strategies to skillfully apply interventions. Participants leave feeling motivated to complete a thorough assessment, quickly getting to the heart of each couple's issues. Participants also receive direct feedback as they practice interventions, developing confidence in their new abilities.
Learn from Julie Gottman's further case studies covering complicated cases involving affairs, PTSD, incest, addictions, borderline personality disorder, and more.
The availability of John and Julie is highly limited due to their own practice(s) and other workshops around the world.We are fortunate to have them next year to train Australian and overseas professionals.
The level of personal training by John and Julie will equip your career with education based on practice. To have John and Julie for 3 days presenting this training and working with you directly is truly rare and we would encourage you to take advantage of this time with them.
Workshop Objectives Practicum
- During the Practicum workshop, participants will examine videotaped cases of couples brought in by workshop colleagues. These cases are used as learning and teaching tools to deepen your understanding of when and how to use various Gottman Method approaches and interventions, and how to break destructive patterns and replace them with meaningful interactions.
- John or Julie Gottman will then demonstrates an assessment or intervention session appropriate for each that couple’s struggle as role-played by audience volunteers.
- These demonstrations represent the true resistances and co-morbidities we face as therapists and how to we can transform them into effective healing methods for the couple. Following each demonstration, participants have the chance to practice and refine their use of Gottman Method Couples Therapy through participation in role-plays, demonstrations and discussions in a small group setting.
- The Gottmans observe each group and offer practical tips and technical refinements for the therapist.
- No criticism or negative judgment is allowed. Rather, efforts are made to create safety and security for all therapists present in an environment free of criticism and negative judgment.
- After each role-play session, Dr. Julie Gottman will lead discussions that include case consultations and nuanced details of the techniques previously demonstrated and provides guidance in developing a road-map for clinical decisions.
Participants will be able to
- Effectively use the Oral History Interview during a couple’s assessment and understand its implications
- Clearly explain to a couple their strengths and challenges in terms of the “Sound Relationship House"
- Help partners identify their own “Four Horsemen” and understand the antidotes Select and utilize appropriate tools to help a couple deepen their “Friendship System”
- Clarify a couple’s conflicts in terms of solvable, perpetual, and grid-locked problems Use the “Dreams Within Conflict” technique to help a couple feel hopeful and to achieve break-through with their perpetual conflict
- Successfully intervene when one or both partners are flooding Help a couple reach solutions using the Compromise Ovals intervention
- Sensitively intervene when co-morbidities are present
- Video Participation: Case Discussion
This Workshop also covers:
What will I learn :
- Refine your clinical skills
- Learn to internalise and integrate the powerful, research-based Gottman Method Assessment and Intervention techniques.
- Gain insight as to when to use these methods and when couples therapy is contraindicated.
- Become skilled in using our Level 3 Clinical Manual which now includes revised Gottman Core Assessments, Gottman Supplemental Assessments and more than 50 Gottman Interventions
- Take part in presentations with Drs. John and Julie Gottman; practice using Assessments and Interventions in group role-plays, view demonstration films, and participate in extensive discussions with Senior Certified Gottman Therapists and clinicians from around the world.
- Receive supportive in person and hands on coaching from Drs. John and Julie Gottman as you participate in experiential exercises, role plays and live in person demonstrations
- Engage both Drs. John and Julie Gottman in vital dialogue regarding Gottman Method Couples Therapy
- Significant time for 1 on 1, Q and A, and group discussions
- During these three days you will have the opportunity to practice and receive coaching while learning how to integrate Gottman Assessment and Intervention Methods into your clinical work.
- The goal of this training is to immerse you in the Gottman Methods in order for you to gain confidence in using the techniques with your clients.
- This workshop provides you with a chance to refine your clinical skills and learn to internalize and incorporate the powerful, research-based techniques into your practice.
- You will gain insight as to when to use these methods and when couples therapy is contraindicated
Pre-requisites: Master’s or doctoral degree OR current enrollment in a graduate program within a mental health-related field
Completed Level 1 Live Training or DVD Home study
Completed Level 2 Live Training or DVD Home study
Therapy experience highly recommended, but not required
Certification track information
For full information on the final stages of the certification process please click here